Skip to main content

Sally Hughes Schrader photograph collection

 Record Group
Identifier: PC-MBL-Schrader
The Sally Hughes Schrader collection includes approximately 100 pictures of scientists at work and play during the 1920s to 1950s. There are also copies of portraits of eminent scientists from the Genetics Society in 1967. One folder contains letters to E. B. Wilson from his colleagues regarding the publication of The Cell in 1896.

Dates

  • 1895-1967

Conditions Governing Access

Open: materials are available for research.

Extent

1 box (one 17.5" x 8.5" x 3.5" box)

Biographical Information

Sally P. Hughes was born in 1895 in Hubbard, Oregon, and spent her early years on the west coast. After completing her undergraduate studies, she was accepted at Columbia University where she majored in protozoology and obtained her M.A. there in 1922. A student of Gary N. Calkins, James McGregor, and Edmund Beecher Wilson, she later earned her Ph.D. at Columbia in 1924.

She embarked on a successful teaching career at Bryn Mawr College and later at Columbia University. She was Professor of Zoology and the head of the Biology Department at Barnard College. Although she was known as an enthusiastic teacher, she also gained recognition for her scientific research. She performed the first complete dissection of the cranial nerves of the dogfish (Squalus icanthias) and made studies of hapoidy, parthenogenesis, hermaphoditism, and the life cycle of insects.

She came to Woods Hole in the summer of 1918 as a student from Grinnell College and was enrolled in the embryology course at the MBL. In 1922, she was listed as an instructor at Bryn Mawr and was a student in the MBL’s protozoology course. In 1925, she returned to the MBL as an Independent Investigator in Zoology and continued in this capacity for several years. She later became a Life Member of the MBL Corporation.

In 1920, she married Franz Schrader, the eminent cytologist and geneticist. An excellent athlete, she enjoyed swimming, racing, and canoeing, and with her husband, partook of the quieter leisure activities of camping and fishing. While at Woods Hole, the Schraders kept a catboat, a broad-beamed sailboat similar to the Chesapeake Oyster boat, and their bountiful catches were invariably shared with the people at the MBL.

A witty and independent spirit, Sally Hughes Schrader was deeply dedicated to teaching and to scientific research and earned from her scientific contemporaries respect and appreciation for her abilities and accomplishments.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

The Sally Hughes Schrader Collection was given by Sheila Counce Nicklas, Department of Cell Biology, Duke University Medical School, to the MBL Archives through Dr. and Mrs. Robert Huettner. Ms. Counce was a friend of Sally Schrader and acquired the collection upon Ms. Schrader’s death. Ms. Counce was told of the MBL’s interest in acquiring papers and photographs of scientists who had worked at the MBL by Jane Maienschein. Dr. Maienschein informed her that Dr. Robert Huettner, Dr. Alfred Huettner’s son, and Mrs. Huettner volunteered in the Archives at the MBL. The MBL welcomed the Schrader Collection. The second box of photographs and memorabilia was sent to the MBL by the Schrader family through Dr. and Mrs. Huettner.

Related Materials

Dr. and Mrs. Robert Huettner gave Dr. Alfred Huettner’s photographs and some of his slides to the MBL Archives. Dr. Franz Schrader’s bound reprints are also a part of our Special Collections. Short biographical files of Dr. Franz Schrader (1892-1962) and Dr. Sally Hughes Schrader are available in the MBL biographical files as well as additional photographs. The 49-volume diary collection of Franz and Sally Hughes Schrader is at the Columbia University, University Libraries, Butler Library, New York, New York.

Processing Information

The original arrangement of this collection was maintained. However, the letters to E. B. Wilson were filed in chronological order and copies made to avoid handling of the originals. Processed by Jean Monahan, April 14, 1998.

Repository Details

Part of the Marine Biological Laboratory Archives Repository

Contact: