International Ice Patrol records
The records consist of various materials relating to the International Ice Patrol.
Language of Materials
Open: materials are available for research.
Copyright: Permission to publish material from the collection must be authorized by the Institution Archivist.
1 box (.5 linear foot)
The custodial history of the collection is undocumented.
Robert (Bob) Dinsmore was involved in the International Ice Patrol and provided some of these materials. The (20) lantern slides were given to the WHOI Archives by the widow of MBL scientist (?). This scientist took these pictures aboard the first INP in 1914. The instruments shown being used on the ships are Bigelow water bottles, some of which are now in the WHOI Archives Instrument Collection.
- Photos scanned from Lantern slides
- 14 8X10 envelopes containing oversized negatives, received from Admiral E.H. Smith in 1961; materials date from 1926-1931
- 9 Glass slides, 5x7 in.; folder
A dozen of the best slides were selected by Bob Dinsmore and scanned; paper copies are available of these 12 slides. Other materials have been preserved in acid free materials, and newspaper clippings were photocopied.
- A Guide to the International Ice Patrol records, 1914-1986
- Beverly Woods and Marisa Hudspeth
- October 20, 2003
- Language of description
- Finding aid written inEnglish